Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Our college bound daughter



Why do high school graduations make you feel so old? Maybe it's because you still feel as young as you were you you graduated from high school - even if it was decades ago! You can remember exactly what it felt like when they called your name and you marched across the stage and received that long awaited diploma. But then you also know what comes next: real life begins. You say to yourself, "If I had only known then what I know now..." Not that I want to go back to being 18 because I certainly don't, but I sure wish I had been a little more receptive to my elders in gleaning some knowledge from their life experiences. The challenge now is to try to help my 18 year old become independent enough to have her own life experiences, but at the same time to try to encourage her to not make the same mistakes that I made. Of course we all make mistakes, and she is going to make her share too. Being a parent is a scary thing these days. LOTS of prayer - LOTS! She'll never know how much...


No comments: